Red, White, and Blue Fire Museum
MUSEUM TOURS UNAVAILABLE CLOSED UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE
Please call 970-453-2474 or visit the fire station next door to arrange a tour
About the museum
In early 1880, Breckenridge was booming with symbols of prosperity and permanence. Under construction were fine residences and commercial, false-fronted buildings. Wooden boardwalks lined the walkways along the wide Main Street. The buildings in town were constructed of log or wood, with
muslin or paper insulation lining the interior walls. And, they were firetraps. The threat of a major fire, accentuated by an occasional small blaze, was the reason for the formation of the all-volunteer Breckenridge Fire Department in 1880. This museum honor those original volunteers and all those who came after them working to protect the town from fire danger.
What to expect
This museum houses some of the original equipment used in Breckenridge in the late 1800s including a human-powered ladder cart, a restored hose cart, and uniforms worn by the volunteers. Our modern-day firefighters offer guided tours so can answer lots of questions. Plan to spend about 30 minutes in this museum. Click here for more FAQs.
The museum is FREE to visit with a $5 suggested donation.
History lovers, kids, and firefighters.
Did you know?
The Red, White, and Blue Fire Department was named for the original three companies: the Red - Pioneer Hook and Ladder Company, the White - Independent Hose Company and the Blue - Blue River Hose Company.
Where to go
Where to park
There are a few parking spaces at the fire station. Otherwise there is street and town lot parking; please visit the Breck park website for more information on current parking locations and fees.
dates, times, and prices subject to change without notice; all activities weather dependent